X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pangloss
    started a topic Saturn

Saturn

This addon includes Saturn, Patrick Murris's PlanetaryRings plugin, moons, feature names, and some physical properties of the rings.

Click to enlarge:

Currently the additional ring data consists of:

Schematic ring diagram
    Ring Temperature
    Radio wave transmittance
    A-Ring Particle Size
    A-Ring Composition

These are activated by selecting the appropriate ring map in the PlanetaryRings cofiguration in Layer Manger (right-click PlanetaryRings and select properties, then choose the desired ring texture). Legends for these are turned on in 'Ring Legends' in Layer Manager.

This has been updated to Saturn 1.2: Link Here

Last edited by pangloss; 05-29-2008, 08:52 PM.

• bull
    replied
    Aww the last version, looks great though

Leave a comment:

• patmurris
    replied
    Planetary Rings 0.9 - blue glow and more settings

Morning delivery : Planetary Rings 0.9 (Zip 64k).
    • Added a blue glow effect.
    • All light effects are now settings options for each world - so some of them can be turned off when not appropriate.

Saturn 'dark side'

Is this the last version
    EDIT: oups, forgot the link on the above zip...
    Last edited by patmurris; 05-20-2006, 06:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Beansprout
    replied
    Stunning

Leave a comment:

• patmurris
    replied
    Some fixes on the rings shadows

Afternoon delivery of Planetary Rings plug-in 0.8b (Zip 63k).
    • Fixed the main body shadow over the rings that was kinda 'floating' above the plane.
    • Unlit side of rings doesnt show inverted colors anymore when shadows are off.
    • Removed Pangloss ring textures at his request - to avoid multiple sources and updates confusion.

Leave a comment:

• Guest_Jim_*
    replied
    Originally posted by basbakker
    It's called perfection..
    Or obsession depending on who you ask, but if I could write plug-ins as nice as this and keep finding ways to improve upon them I'd double my current number of posts in under a month .

Leave a comment:

• basbakker
    replied
    Originally posted by patmurris
    Still missing that blue glow though
    EDIT : sorry for the constant post of updates...
    It's called perfection..

Leave a comment:

• patmurris
    replied
    Planetary Rings 0.8 with still more accurate shadows

Morning delivery of Planetary Rings plug-in 0.8 (Zip 303k).

More accurate rings shadow on main body and inverted 'underlit' side of rings :

Getting really close to the real thing... see PIA07772.
    Still missing that blue glow though
    EDIT : sorry for the constant post of updates... i always pretend its the last touch up but i cant let it go - blame the Cassini mission and all the wonderfull pictures they bring us
    Last edited by patmurris; 05-18-2006, 08:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• patmurris
    replied
    Planetary Rings 0.7b - fix

That should be it : Planetary Rings plug-in 0.7b (Zip 303k)

I fixed the opacity bug with quadtile layers and included pangloss extensive variations of saturn ring textures. I also unsaturated a bit the default saturn rings

Leave a comment:

• withak
    replied
    It might depend on the video card as well. The Radeon 7500 card in my laptop does WW just fine, except for all the fancy alpha blending options that were added to the imagery layers last fall sometime.

Leave a comment:

• patmurris
    replied
    Originally posted by bull
    the ring shadows seem to be in the wrong place...
    Thats really odd... pangloss sent me a similar screen shot.

The 'wrong' shadow is in fact the equatorial border of the half sphere on which the ring projection is drawn... I had the same artefact, but solved it using various alpha blending, so it should not be there anymore - and i dont have it anymore myself !?!

One thing thats odd is that the rings projection is supposed to have something like a 50% transparency, but on both your screen shot and pangloss's, the projection is definitely not blended... which is probably related to the equatorial artefact still being visible.

I'm not sure why it doesnt work for you...

Did you use the Saturn_Rings.png that came with 0.7 ? It has been tweaked on the edge too - in relation with similar artefact at the bottom border of the projection - which seems to be ok on your screen shots though.

EDIT: I was using an early version of Saturn add-on. I just installed the 1.0 from the link in the first post and now i get the same artefact... when the Images/Tiled layer is on. Investigating...
    Last edited by patmurris; 05-17-2006, 07:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bull
    replied
    Goooo Pat getting a few problems with 0.7 though, hard to explain, but the ring shadows seem to be in the wrong place, I'll attach a screenshot,
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• pangloss
    replied
    Don't go to the light Carol Ann, stay away from the light...

In addition to the spectacular Saturn display, this looks like the basis of a real-world nightime plugin. With orbital position, planetary inclination and time/date, this could show the actual illumination of the planets in real time. Plus, I could tell if it's dark outside my house or not.

Leave a comment:

• patmurris
    replied
    More shadows and sun control...

Cant stop it... Planetary Rings plug-in 0.7 with even more shadows (Zip 41k).

It includes the projected shadow of the rings on the main body - without the blue hue though.

Layer settings allow you to 'unlock' the sun and move it in real time (following the camera latitude). You can watch the different shadow configurations and save the one you like by locking the sun again.
    Last edited by patmurris; 05-17-2006, 07:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Guest_Jim_*
    replied
    Maybe the Heavenly Bodies plug-in and Planetary Rings plug-in should be combined into one plug-in. That could be pretty cool if there is ever a Sun world for World Wind because you could use such a plug-in to form an accretion disk around it with small planetary bodies in it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X