Shiny Marble plug-in

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shiny Marble plug-in

Here is a beta version of Shiny Marble plugin 0.1 (Zip 2.8M - unzip in Program Files/NASA/World Wind 1.3/Plugins/).

So far it only works if you turn off the Images layer in Layer Manager and do not zoom in too much. EDIT 12-27: see version 0.2 below.

The prefered setup uses the Stars 3D and Atmospheric halo plug-ins.

It uses an alpha channelled version of BMNG Bathy 2004/06 and a 'double pass' rendering with and without alpha channel and/or specular highlights.

I will be looking at having the light direction match the current sun/earth angle according to time of day and day of year. For now the light follows the camera longitude so you can see the specular move across land and water.

Note: I'll be off with family in Nice, France for some time... dont expect too many updates until 2006
    My World Wind Java Blog & WW.net Plugins page

Neat. It's like shining a spotlight on the earth.

Comment

Daym, great work, it seemed to not like global clouds the first time I enabled both, but now it works
      Bull_[UK]

Comment

Cool B)

(it seems that loading Shiny Marble after atmosphere and 3dstars gives a nice transparent Earth )
        [attachmentid=1550]
        Attached Files
        Hot stuff: FAQ, forum search, DirectX, .NET, Video Card Compatibility list

Comment

Originally posted by bull+Dec 15 2005, 12:57 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bull &#064; Dec 15 2005, 12:57 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>...it seemed to not like global clouds the first time I enabled both, but now it works
          [/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-m_k
          @Dec 15 2005, 01:17 PM
          ...it seems that loading Shiny Marble after atmosphere and 3dstars gives a nice transparent Earth )
          [/quote]
          One of the issues I have with this plug-in is inserting the layer at the right place in the layer list. It should go in between Images and Atmosphere/Global clouds... but i didnt find how to do it precisly... <_<

Comment

The ideal would be to mask the land so that only the water areas get drawn. That way we could still see high-res land images together with the shining water.

Although, I guess the right thing to do would be to mask out the water in the high-res images (yes, huge job), and then draw the high-res images on top of your shiny water.

Then again... if NASA ever do that kind of masking we could have all high-res images (both water and land) with shiny water.

Nevertheless... I like what you have done. Beautiful. Just wish I could have it all at the same time

Comment

Updated Shiny Marble 0.2 (Zip 2.7M) or just the update from 0.1 to 0.2 (Zip 6k)

No more need to turn off the &#39;Images&#39; layer, but you still gain if you do - more responsiveness...
              The shiny layer turns off below 400km.

Comment

Working...
              X