Lunar Sky

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lunar Sky

This is the sky plugin by Patrick Murris, with a starfield as a default sky to promote the moon in 1.3.3.1, I take no credit at all for this plugin.

see - http://www.worldwindcentral.com/wiki/Add-on:Lunar_Sky
    Bull_[UK]

Originally posted by bull@Nov 11 2005, 01:31 PM
    ...with a starfield as a default sky
    Great night sky indeed
    What is the difference between the default tychocyl1.jpg and yalecyl1.jpg ?
    The way is milkier in the first ?
    My World Wind Java Blog & WW.net Plugins page

Comment

yep, just different versions from - http://maps.jpl.nasa.gov/stars.html I would have liked to find some higher res images but my googling skills failed me, also is there anyway to modify the script to display at a higher altitude without the weird black hole that appears when you tilt happening?
      Bull_[UK]

Comment

Originally posted by bull+Nov 12 2005, 12:42 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bull &#064; Nov 12 2005, 12:42 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>I would have liked to find some higher res images
        [/b]

These are already quite large textures that use up to 11 megs of texture RAM when uncompressed.

<!--QuoteBegin-bull
        @Nov 12 2005, 12:42 PM
        Is there anyway to modify the script to display at a higher altitude without the weird black hole that appears when you tilt happening?
        [/quote]
        Sorry about the clipping, just uncomment these two lines in Render()
        Code:
        float aspectRatio = &#40;float&#41;device.Viewport.Width / device.Viewport.Height;
        device.Transform.Projection = Matrix.PerspectiveFovRH&#40;&#40;float&#41;camera.Fov.Radians, aspectRatio, 1, float.MaxValue &#41;;
        That was coded in Mashi&#39;s original Atmosphere plug-in i started from, but droped off the radar at some point... I need to change it in Sky.cs too.

BTW, you should really just use either the top half or the bottom half of the NASA stars textures which are supposed to map on a sphere - we use a half sphere as a sky dome here.

Comment

Cool thanks a lot for the help.
          Bull_[UK]

Comment

Updated to 0.2, removes clipping and cut sky textures in half, thanks again Patrick.
            Bull_[UK]

Comment

Originally posted by bull@Nov 12 2005, 06:48 PM
              Updated to 0.2, removes clipping and cut sky textures in half, thanks again Patrick.
              ...Bull, you got me thinking to the stars and i couldnt help but morph the sky dome into a star sphere around the world.

So here is the resulting Stars plugin (Zip - 526K). Unzip it in Program Files/Nasa/Worldwind.../Plugins/ then start WW and goto Plugins/Load-Unload to load &#39;Stars&#39;. Alternative bitmaps can be dropped in the Plugins/Stars folder and selected from the Stars layer settings in the Layer Manager (right click on layer) - same as for the sky.

I dimed the original NASA Tycho8 stars background, used a lossless (i think) png and flipped it right to left to get the constellations right too.

However, the stars are still blurry and getting them sharper would require a huge bitmap - this one is already 11MB uncompressed.

So this is still kind of a quick and dirty trick to get a star background. A rendering of &#39;3D dots&#39; based on a list of stars would be sharper and certainly much lighter on texture ram...

Thanks Bull for pointing out the stars backgrounds from NASA

Edit: and to top it off, here is an alternate bitmap with the earth as seen from Apollo 11 and a screen shot. Just what you want for the moon... I&#39;m not sure at all if this is &#39;astronomicaly&#39; accurate though.

Comment

Most excellent dude&#33; I&#39;ll make an installer for it (to keep the new users happy) and put up a wiki page, it looks excellent when used on the Earth too.
                Bull_[UK]

Comment

Originally posted by bull@Nov 13 2005, 01:40 PM
                  I&#39;ll make an installer for it...
                  Thanks Bull.
                  How do you make an installer ? Is there a &#39;recommended&#39; way to do that for plug-ins ? It would be nice if all plug-ins had the same install procedure.

Comment

Well I just use the same NSIS script I use for Add-Ons and follow the same naming conventions, I made this wiki page for it - http://www.worldwindcentral.com/wiki/Add-on:Stars so hopefully it should be fairly simple for users to figure out how to use it, if I&#39;ve made any mistakes let me know and I&#39;ll fix it. This is going to be a very popular plugin
                    Bull_[UK]

Comment

Originally posted by bull@Nov 13 2005, 02:57 PM
                      I made this wiki page for it - http://www.worldwindcentral.com/wiki/Add-on:Stars ...
                      I tried the install and it didnt work as expected. Instead of adding a Stars folder to the Plugins directory, it created a folder named &#39;World Wind v1.3&#39; at the same level as &#39;Plugins&#39; and then inside it created &#39;Plugins/Stars/&#39;.

Not sure wether this is a bug in the install or my multiple installs of WW inside &#39;Program Files/NASA/&#39; got things messed up...

Comment

yeah I&#39;ve noticed that when I change the default path, it adds a World Wind v1.3, I just got a cool new install script from Mazop which I&#39;ll try using later today, it will hopefully fix that issue.
                        Bull_[UK]

Comment

Originally posted by bull@Nov 13 2005, 08:28 PM
                          yeah I&#39;ve noticed that when I change the default path, it adds a World Wind v1.3, I just got a cool new install script from Mazop which I&#39;ll try using later today, it will hopefully fix that issue.
                          Very nice work&#33; i have built an installer for this great Plugin (which works here and hopfully on your end too). Grab the installer here - and if you like, take it

and again. Very nice work&#33;
                          browse and download all free AddOns i have built for World Wind and Punt
                          http://www.dynagis.net/wwdownload/free_addons.html

Comment

Here is version 1.1 of the Stars plugin (Zip 1.5 MB).

Renamed the bitmaps.
                            Now with a choice of three backgrounds, with moon, earth or just stars.

Default with the moon (for earthlings).

No install.exe right now (Bull/Mazop ?), just unzip in Plugins/

Comment

Here we are. Hopefully it&#39;ll work, I haven&#39;t had time to test it.
                              Installer
                              Note: The above statement is probably an educated guess, derived from much forum reading, IRC chatting, general curiosity, etc. Use at your own risk.
                              Before asking, check the FAQ or search, and Ask a good question.

Having problems? Make sure you have Managed DirectX and .NET Framework.
                              Then check the Video Card Compatibility List

Comment

Working...
                              X