This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Cache Packs - WorldWindData.com

Just wanted to let everyone know that WorldWinddata.com has been updated.
    Their are a few new features, and some new cache packs for NASA World Wind. Also, we now offer both bittorrent and HTTP downloads, with the bittorrent being "perma-seeded" by the same server that provides the HTTP downloads.

http://www.worldwinddata.com/

Looks like everything is going well, the new server is pushing out about 15-20 mbit/sec of cache pack goodness.

Comment

OK. Posting these questions may save a lot of individual PMs or emails. Just for the record, if 250 Gb chunks are under consideration:

By hemisphere, or if necessary half hemisphere or quarter hemisphere (you know where I'm heading...), how big are the chunks for NLT level 3 and level 4?

Is SRTM 30 m data available anywhere but USA/Canada? This is a loaded question., since USGS doesn't apparently serve it.

If one has all the packs available to date, plus full BMNG data (12 months), as for example if one has religously pinged Big Pond Australia to get them, what else is there and how big?

A 250 Gb drive at $199US (presumed currency) seems excellent value, given the data, but just how much fits would be appreciated. Congrats for offering this way - everyone's bandwidth would benefit, thus contributing far less to global warming and the heat death of the universe. Err. Right...

Comment

SRTM30 was only taken over the US.

At the moment, my local RAID array is transforming (Added some disks), so I cant really answer those but I can give you some estimates.

NLT Landsat 7 Visible color is around 100 GB
        NLT Landsat 7 Pseudo Color is around 105 GB
        Earthsat 1990 Geocover is around 150 GB
        Earthsat 2000 Geocover (once finished) will be somewhere in between 500-1500 GB

Then of course, theirs clementine (moon) data.
        Dont worry, theirs plenty of data to download.

Comment

I can't remember what I've downloaded already... Can you give me an overview of what cache packs were on the previous site a long time ago? Or what the new ones are? Thanks!
          [jorisvandael.be]
          + jorisvandael.be/weblog
          + eurobilltracker.com

Comment

Originally posted by jovada@Nov 15 2005, 06:57 PM
            I can't remember what I've downloaded already... Can you give me an overview of what cache packs were on the previous site a long time ago? Or what the new ones are? Thanks!
            AFAIK only BMNG packs were added...
            Hot stuff: FAQ, forum search, DirectX, .NET, Video Card Compatibility list

Comment

When can we expect something new? Or did it "die" again?
              [jorisvandael.be]
              + jorisvandael.be/weblog
              + eurobilltracker.com

Comment

Whenever I become less lazy enough to do them :P Lol, but really, probably once Chris Maxwell sends me some of the moon data, then I'll NLT Landsat 7 Pseudo Color, Earthsat 1990, and Geocover 2000 along with the moon stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by radhock@Nov 8 2005, 05:07 AM
                  Is SRTM 30 m data available anywhere but USA/Canada? This is a loaded question., since USGS doesn't apparently serve it.
                  The SRTM 90m data is derived from SRTM 30m data by averaging each 3x3 array of 30m datapoints into one 90m datapoint. There was no plan to release 30m coverage beyond the USA according to NASA/JPL when the data was originally released, probably due to the size.

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Guest Andy@Jan 30 2006, 10:05 PM
                    The SRTM 90m data is derived from SRTM 30m data by averaging each 3x3 array of 30m datapoints into one 90m datapoint. There was no plan to release 30m coverage beyond the USA according to NASA/JPL when the data was originally released, probably due to the size.
                    Andy
                    ok, maybe there was no plan to release but, with this new cluster of pc's is it possible that we may get some better resolutions? yes I reallize that srtm is elevation but I assume that the idea of the cluster is to reprocess things into better detail. Before you start shouting at me, I know that all of this will take eons to perform. I just want to know if that is the general jist of things. I'm not trying to rush anyone, I would just like to know what may be down the pike. thank you for all that you are doing.

Comment

The cluster can't create what doesn't exist

What it can do is process what it's given so if you can get us a source of higher-res imagery/terrain data etc etc, send it our way and we'll do it
                      Donate to support your community!
                      Please donate if you can - every donation helps improve World Wind

World Wind Central - FAQs, Hotspots, Wiki and more...READ before posting!

Need to upload files? Use my free 50Mb uploader!
                      Or, how about some web hosting or web design?

Comment

Originally posted by PostFatal@Jan 30 2006, 11:22 PM
                        but I assume that the idea of the cluster is to reprocess things into better detail.
                        /methinks someone has been watching too much tv.

As bean said, you cant process somehting that isnt there :P I suppose we could "Guess" what the elevation is... that would make some interesting results :P

Comment

I have two questions.Can anyone please reply.
                          1- Is the currently available cache packs less than what was offered last year?(i downloaded but lost it)
                          2- Is their a way to get the high resolution data for specific country(india for me)?

Comment

good day
                            hi my name is oli and i'm from germany (15years).
                            How du I use the cache packets. I've downloaded them and what do I have to do now?
                            many thanks for your help!!
                            oli

Comment

hello
                              my name is oli and i'm 15 years from germany.
                              i have downloaded some cache packets but i dont now what to do now. how can i use those packets??
                              many thanks
                              oli

Comment

Working...
                              X