Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katrina Data Add-On

UPDATE:

Revamped the add-on to make it more Hurricane general since we have now added Ophelia imagery of the Carolinas.

I also have a web page up here finally. I have an installer (it should pick the right install location) and the list is below in this post.

(Ok Bull, update the wiki page now too )

Ok, after several days of pulling data together and processing it and georeferencing it. We have finnaly finished and made public, a data layer for World Wind.

This layer has all the NOAA imagery properly orientated and georeferenced now. So after installing this add-on, turn the layer on in the layer manager and zoom in to see the imagery of the area.

Note: The imagery is NOT yet fully done. We are still missing / waiting on some more meta data for the rest of the imagery. This meta data is how we propery align and tile the images.

Here are some samples from the layer:

Mississippi Before:
    [attachmentid=1292]

Mississippi After:
    [attachmentid=1293]

New Orleans Before:
    [attachmentid=1294]

New Orleans After:
    [attachmentid=1295]

Rita After:
    [attachmentid=1361]

Getting and installing the add-on:
    Download installer file

Copy the zip file into your World Wind 1.3 folder and unzip. into that folder, it will place the files in the right locations.

Then start World Wind and open the layer manager and select the Hurricane Katrina layer.

Note: You should turn OFF your Images / High Resolution Imagery layer.

Data Sources:
    The Katrina imagery was taken by NOAA and georeferenced and processed by telascience.org. http://katrina.telascience.org/

New Orleans before is the 2002 Urban Area Imagery done by the USGS

The mississippi before imagery was done by the National Agriculture Imagery Program (NAIP) (http://www.apfo.usda.gov/NAIP.html)
    Attached Files

Earth is Square blog

PUBLIC NOTICE AS REQUIRED BY LAW: Any use of this forum post, in any manner whatsoever, will increase the amount of disorder in the universe. Although no liability is implied herein, the consumer is warned that this process will ultimately lead to the heat death of the universe.

Installation:

Using the self installing exe -
    Double click 'Worldwind_1.3_Katrina_Data_Add-On_1.0.exe' and follow the on-screen prompts.
    When the installer has completed you are ready to run World Wind, once World Wind has loaded unselect 'NLT Landsat7 (Visible Color)' in the toolbar by clicking on it, the little black arrow above it should disappear.
    Then click on 'Layer Manager' located on the far left of your toolbar, the Layer Manager menu will appear, tick 'Hurricane Katrina Imagery', and zoom in to view the affected areas.
    You may click the following link to view an area around the Mississippi in World Wind - worldwind://goto/lat=30.3146&lon=-89.2466&altitude=500

Using the zip file -
    Copy the zip file into your World Wind 1.3 folder and unzip. into that folder, it will place the files in the right locations.
    You are now ready to run World Wind, once World Wind has loaded unselect 'NLT Landsat7 (Visible Color)' in the toolbar by clicking on it, the little black arrow above it should disappear.
    Then click on 'Layer Manager' located on the far left of your toolbar, the Layer Manager menu will appear, tick 'Hurricane Katrina Imagery', and zoom in to view the affected areas.
    You may click the following link to view an area around the Mississippi in World Wind - worldwind://goto/lat=30.3146&lon=-89.2466&altitude=500

Note: The imagery is NOT yet fully done. We are still missing / waiting on some more meta data for the rest of the imagery. This meta data is how we propery align and tile the images.

Data Sources and Credits:

The Katrina imagery was taken by NOAA and georeferenced and processed by telascience.org. http://katrina.telascience.org/
    New Orleans before is the 2002 Urban Area Imagery done by the USGS
    The Mississippi before imagery was done by the National Agriculture Imagery Program (NAIP) (http://www.apfo.usda.gov/NAIP.html)

Special Thanks:

nhv, mangocrate, Nowak, T_Servo and everyone else involved in this project.

Download Installer

T_Servo - feel free to merge this post with yours, and delete mine, I only added it because you are offline.
    Bull_[UK]

Comment

Good work guys.
      I used the installer. Works fine for me.
      Seems to pan around better than GE.
      Today New Orleans, tomorrow the world.
      Hope it doesn't need to be flooded first.....
      thanks for the effort.

Comment

Looking at these images....

...honestly, i don't know what to say.

Comment

Ok, have an update to this. Nowak has finished processing the United States Army Corps of Engineers arial imagery of the Katrina aftermath. This imagery is also High Reolution, and IMHO looks better than the NOAA imagery (Sorry Mangocrate ) The imagery resolution is .72' per pixel. (NOAA is 1.5' per pixel)

The zip file in the first post is the only file updated.. Bull, can you redo the installer version as well?

Sample Imagery, showing one of the Levy breaks:

[attachmentid=1300]
          Attached Files

Earth is Square blog

PUBLIC NOTICE AS REQUIRED BY LAW: Any use of this forum post, in any manner whatsoever, will increase the amount of disorder in the universe. Although no liability is implied herein, the consumer is warned that this process will ultimately lead to the heat death of the universe.

Comment

Originally posted by aussiemac@Sep 9 2005, 02:26 PM
            Good work guys.
            I used the installer. Works fine for me.
            Seems to pan around better than GE.
            Today New Orleans, tomorrow the world.
            Hope it doesn't need to be flooded first.....
            thanks for the effort.

Comment

Ok installer updated, please report any problems.
              Bull_[UK]

Comment

Very nice. (the pictures, that is, not the devastation)

Does google have one overlay of all of these yet? Last I saw they just had clickeable placemarkers for each image.

edit: I see now that they do.

Comment

Google doesn't have anything to match this
                  Donate to support your community!
                  Please donate if you can - every donation helps improve World Wind

World Wind Central - FAQs, Hotspots, Wiki and more...READ before posting!

Need to upload files? Use my free 50Mb uploader!
                  Or, how about some web hosting or web design?

Comment

Google's NOAA layer.

It is nice to be able to have the before and after layers on at once with the transparency slider.

Comment

Yep but according to Nowak the georeferencing sucks, plus they don't have the USACE stuff, although as they seem to watch us closely I'm sure they soon will :P
                      Bull_[UK]

Comment

Transparency and viewing multiple layers will be in 1.3.3
                        Bull_[UK]

Comment

Originally posted by bull@Sep 12 2005, 09:24 AM
                          Transparency and viewing multiple layers will be in 1.3.3
                          What about that weird graphics thing that happens when two image layers are on at once?

Comment

And on a related note, someone might want to make sure in the next update of this add-on that only one layer is turned on by default at startup.

Comment

was that in the zip or exe
                              Bull_[UK]

Comment

Working...
                              X