X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real time GPS tracking

Originally posted by javier.santoro@May 16 2007,20:32
    Hi,

GpsTracker is now part of World Wind 1.4.
    The version of GpsTracker included in WorldWind is V04R00

GpsTracker V04R06 Update has been released.

Please goto:
    http://www.worldwindcentral.com/wiki/Add-o...er_%28plugin%29
    to read the release notes.

Latest Version is V04R06:

Fixes:
    1. Units settings were not correctly displayed when playing back a session file.

Version V04R05:

Additions:
    1. File Playback Control. Pause, rewind, fastforward, restart a file been played. Bring the window up by Right Ctrl + Click on the source icon.

Modifications:
    1. Removed some features that were not ready for release (APRS support, Virtual COM port support, among others). I realized that these features were not fully debuged and ready for release. I'll include them back when they are ready.

Let me know if there's any problem.
    Thanks, Javier
    [/b]

Hello,
    I wanted to let you know that I added a GPS tracker class to the WorldWind project that reads GPS information from any NMEA serial GPS device.
    Once activated, through a new button in the toolbar (little gps satellite), your world view will lock into your current latitude and longitude.
    I have a private pilot license, and it's really beautiful to fly around and see the 3D map move along with you.
    What I do is, prior to flying, I run WorldWind on my laptop at home (connected to the internet) and move around to the places I'm going to go. This way I download the hires maps that I need. Then I just go flying with the laptop and a serial gps receiver.
    Anyway, I was just wondering if this is of any interest. If it is, how should I submit my source code changes?

I'm including a some Snapshots.

Thank you very much,
    Javier Santoro.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by javier.santoro; 05-17-2007, 04:51 AM.

Excellent Javier!

I wrote a much more crude version earlier to show off plugin possibilities in the next version World Wind. Only configurable option was COM port. B) Perhaps you could modify your more sophisticated GPS tracker to a plugin that people can load in 1.3.2 (next release) without having to compile the source? We have been getting many requests for various types of GPS functionality but really have no time to work on it so it would be great if you would.
    Bjørn Reppen
    Developer on http://punt.sourceforge.net
    mashi on #punt (irc.freenode.net)
    Home: http://www.mashiharu.com

Comment

Come on to #worldwind-dev on Freenode and we will be glad to help you get the plugin working.
      Adam Hill - .NET and GIS Guy
      Thregecy Inc. ::: TheBigPixel
      Hack #24 - World Wind

Comment

OK, I'm downloading the latest WorldWind source (1.3.1.1) to write the plugin.
        I'll try to have the plugin done as soon as possible.
        Thanks for the help, Javier

Comment

Try this instead http://www.mashiharu.com/src/Nightly.zip 1.3.1.1 doesnt support plugins also check http://www.mashiharu.com/src/Nightly.zip for examples.
          Bull_[UK]

Comment

Hi everybody,

This GPS plugin is a very good thing. Thanks for all your efforts you put into this in advance.

Please make the plugin support USB also. My Garmin GPS 60C - as do some of the newer GPS units - supports USB only.

Only because I saw this COM-Port button on your screenshot. Would be a shame if I couldn't use this plug-in.

Many thanks.

spinnne

Comment

Yes, 1.3.1.1 does not support plugins. So I downloaded 1.3.2 (binaries)
              I turned my class into a plug in, everything is OK, but I need access to worldWindow1 to call GotoLatLon.
              Perhaps something has changed in 1.3.2?
              Anyway I like the GPS button in the toolbar and the way you can start and stop gps tracking by clicking on the toolbar button. Can you do this with a plugin? Or you can just add a menu item in the plugin menu.

I was going to upload my source code changes, but it looks like your not allowed to attach source code files here.
              Perhaps somebody can show me how to correctly turn this into a plugin.

Thank you very much,
              Javier Santoro

Comment

Hi Javier,

Great initiative! I suggest uploading your source code changes as an attachment to our issue tracking system. You'll need to sign up for an account at http://issues.worldwind.arc.nasa.gov then log in to the system.

If you'd like to add it to the core World Wind source code, create a new issue in the World Wind Product project. If you'd like to add it as a plug-in, create a new issue in the World Wind Add-ons project. After you've created an issue, you can attach your source changes.

Jessi

Comment

Hello Jessi,

Sorry for the delay.
                  I just created the new issue as you suggested:
                  Issue Key: WW-205
                  Issue URL: http://issues.worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/browse/WW-205

Thank you very much,
                  Javier

Originally posted by Jessi@Jun 7 2005, 12:40 PM
                  Hi Javier,

Great initiative! I suggest uploading your source code changes as an attachment to our issue tracking system. You'll need to sign up for an account at http://issues.worldwind.arc.nasa.gov then log in to the system.

If you'd like to add it to the core World Wind source code, create a new issue in the World Wind Product project. If you'd like to add it as a plug-in, create a new issue in the World Wind Add-ons project. After you've created an issue, you can attach your source changes.

Jessi

Comment

Originally posted by javier.santoro@Jun 7 2005, 07:30 PM
                    but I need access to worldWindow1 to call GotoLatLon.

Anyway I like the GPS button in the toolbar and the way you can start and stop gps tracking by clicking on the toolbar button. Can you do this with a plugin? Or you can just add a menu item in the plugin menu.

Code:
                    ParentApplication.WorldWindow.GotoLatLon() should work.
                    You can add toolbar buttons from a plugin by calling

Code:
                    ParentApplication.WorldWindow.MenuBar.AddToolsMenuButton()
                    Bjørn Reppen
                    Developer on http://punt.sourceforge.net
                    mashi on #punt (irc.freenode.net)
                    Home: http://www.mashiharu.com

Comment

Thanks, Javier! Now we need a decision on whether to include it in the core code, and when.

Jessi

Comment

I am following this thread with great interest, it would be great also to be able to read NMEA sentences from a UDP port(s) as well as a com port, and plot them in world wind. We have applications that send GPS data wirelessly to UDP ports it would be great to see this data on a global scale in WW.

matthew

Comment

That's a great idea. I would really like to implement it. I have experience (from my work) with TCP|UDP programming. Perhaps you could let me know the format of the GPS data that you are sending in your applications.

I'm about to upload a new version of the GPSTracker class (http://issues.worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/browse/WW-205). I just added an "Auto Detect" button. If the user does not have much idea of the COM settings for the GPS device, they can click on this button and the GPS tracker class will try to find the GPS device in COM ports 1 to 9 (Baud rates 2400 to 9600, Byte size hardcoded to 8, Parity hardcoded to none, Stop bits hardcoded to 1).

Thanks, Javier

Originally posted by Matthew@Jun 18 2005, 01:22 AM
                          I am following this thread with great interest, it would be great also to be able to read NMEA sentences from a UDP port(s) as well as a com port, and plot them in world wind. We have applications that send GPS data wirelessly to UDP ports it would be great to see this data on a global scale in WW.

matthew

Comment

Hi Javier,

Thanks for working on this.

The data that is being sent to the UDP port is standard
                            NMEA sentences. There are other sentences not related to position that can be ignored,
                            see below for an example of a data session captured via a UDP port.

[04 Jun - 14:03:46] (198.230.164.239) :
                            $GPRMC,210048.00,A,4920.5268,N,1230 3.9834,W,000.0,000.0,040605,,*2A
                            $GPGLL,4920.5268,N,12303.9834,W,210 048.00,A*1A
                            $GPGGA,210049.00,4920.5268,N,12303. 9834,W,1,5,01.8,+00210,M,,M,,0000*57
                            $PCTM,-94dBm,16422,2,1,198.230.164.239*59

[04 Jun - 14:03:56] (198.230.164.239) :
                            $GPRMC,210058.00,A,4920.5256,N,1230 3.9843,W,000.0,000.0,040605,,*26
                            $GPGLL,4920.5256,N,12303.9843,W,210 058.00,A*16
                            $GPGGA,210058.00,4920.5256,N,12303. 9843,W,1,5,01.8,+00216,M,,M,,0000*5C
                            $PCTM,-95dBm,16422,2,1,198.230.164.239*58

etc, etc.

Let me know if you need more examples of this type of data, I could send you a data file logged from a UDP port.

Matthew

Comment

Hello,

I have just uploaded version 0.07 of the GPSTracker class and GPSTrackerPlugin class to the WorldWind Issues tracking system. This version implements getting NMEA data from a user selectable UDP port (as Matthew suggested) as well as from an internal COM port.

Thanks, Javier

Comment

Working...
                              X