Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official NLT Landsat Cache packs for 1.3.1

[edit1]
    I have successfully gotten the first cache pack onto Archive.org. This will hopefully give us enough bandwidth to serve the cache packs from HTTP (and fast too&#33.
    It is available here:
    http://www.archive.org/download/MattMillsW...ialnltls7l0.exe
    (This is NLT Landsat7 Layer 0)
    [/edit1]

I have setup torrents for a few official cache packs. They arent "official" because they were prepared by nasa, but because they are prepared directly from NASA's data (IE, Jessi sent me a FULL copy of the NLT Landsat dataset, and I made cache packs off of that.) Here are the bittorrent links for the files I've made, I'm expecting to release a few more, perhaps SRTM elevation data (When you have a lot of the SRTM data, it makes loading a lot faster, because you dont have to load all those small elevation files). Please remember that the cache system doesnt have all the kinks worked out, so I would recommend keeping these executable files around for a while, so if something goes awry with your cache you can reinstall them.

Torrent File: http://bttrack.worldwindcentral.org:7777/t...faeaf0387cfec83

Torrent File: http://bttrack.worldwindcentral.org:7777/t...9c04a2b27220da2

Hi f0urtyfive!

This is going to be an arms race! I'll have the Level 2 - Northern Hemisphere running in a few hours! At the competing post.

How big is the *entire* NLT set? Is it the master 'image' or the million-square tiles?
    I'll have a copy of that...

Good development this is! Steven.

Comment

Hey Steven,

I have the sizes of all the NLT data listed in this post.

It amounts to about 120 GB.

Jessi

Comment

:P Steven, If you want to race go ahead, I already have all the data stored locally so I just have to stick it into an installer In my opinion it really isnt worth making cache packs for lower than layer 1 on NLT Landsat, just because it gets too-specific, unless you make it for specific cities. The problem wit that is, if you make them for specific cities, people are only going to download specific packs, and thus you dont have enough seeders.

If you want to send me a list of choords / layers in a text file, IE, x y layer (like "343 232 1"), I would gladly make as many packs as you want from my local copy of NLT Landsat and SRTM

Comment

Originally posted by Jessi@Apr 20 2005, 07:19 PM
          Hey Steven,

I have the sizes of all the NLT data listed in this post.

It amounts to about 120 GB.

Jessi
          Hi Jessi!

How On Earth (har pun) could I have missed that post?!? I've been running Liujun's script for days...
          Yes! I want copies! But before I mail you, let me find out whether or not f0urtyfive's convertor is 'available'... I'll build and seed (10Mbit) cache packs like mad...

How long will these NLT files remain 'state of the art'? Don't bother answering, I'll try to find out when I find out how to get on IRC.

I'll try and get the university (Groningen, The Netherlands) interested in seeding (100+Mbit) cache packs, too. I know they like WW, so they might just as well help out.

Anyway. Thanks for the reminder! Steven.

Comment

How are these different from the torrents in the other thread? If they are the same data then it seems a little inefficient to have two different torrents running of the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by withak@Apr 20 2005, 09:03 PM
              How are these different from the torrents in the other thread? If they are the same data then it seems a little inefficient to have two different torrents running of the same thing.
              They're pretty much identical, judging by the file size. Apart from f0urtyfive's torrents having an automatic installer, the only possible difference I can think of is the compression ratio of the .jpg's.

So choose any which one. We might standardise soon... f0urtyfive's got an advantage I can't beat...

Steven.

Comment

Yeah, the only real difference is mine is an executable (installer), and it comes straight from the NLT Landsat data (So I know I have EVERY file, since I'm not just downloading them all, I actually got a copy off the server). Just a reminder, if your a university or such that wants to try to reduce their bandwidth costs or increase speed, we can setup a caching proxy that is preloaded with NLT LAndsat and elevation data, which speeds it up a good bit.

Comment

Originally posted by f0urtyfive@Apr 20 2005, 05:39 PM
                  I have setup torrents for a few official cache packs.
                  Are the cache files in .jpg format just like Steven's files? I'm using the ".jpg to .dds" trick to reduce the cache size, that's why I'd like to know...

edit: the two links in the first post don't seem to work anymore...
                  [jorisvandael.be]
                  + jorisvandael.be/weblog
                  + eurobilltracker.com

Comment

worldwindcentral is having some hardware problems. It'll be back soon
                    Donate to support your community!
                    Please donate if you can - every donation helps improve World Wind

World Wind Central - FAQs, Hotspots, Wiki and more...READ before posting!

Need to upload files? Use my free 50Mb uploader!
                    Or, how about some web hosting or web design?

Comment

Originally posted by TheBeansprout@Apr 21 2005, 11:23 PM
                      worldwindcentral is having some hardware problems. It'll be back soon
                      And we are

Comment

Originally posted by Nowak@Apr 22 2005, 02:35 PM
                        And we are
                        liar
                        [jorisvandael.be]
                        + jorisvandael.be/weblog
                        + eurobilltracker.com

Comment

Originally posted by jovada@Apr 22 2005, 03:14 PM
                          liar
                          laf

Comment

Originally posted by f0urtyfive@Apr 20 2005, 05:39 PM
                            I'm expecting to release a few more, perhaps SRTM elevation data (When you have a lot of the SRTM data, it makes loading a lot faster, because you dont have to load all those small elevation files). Please remember that the cache system doesnt have all the kinks worked out, so I would recommend keeping these executable files around for a while.
                            When can we expect something new?
                            And what will change to the cache? When will we finally have a stable cache layout? This is the one thing that bothers me the most about WW
                            [jorisvandael.be]
                            + jorisvandael.be/weblog
                            + eurobilltracker.com

Comment

Jovada: We're gearing up for a new site, so we're holding all releases till its ready (Me and sveuhen), We may even have packs accessible from HTTP instead of just Bittorrent.

Once we open the new site, You can expect:
                              Regional cache packs (NLT Landsat + Elevation data)
                              Layer 4 Elevation Data (Layers 4, 5, and probably 6 of both SRTM30US and SRTM90World).

I'd also like to do some USGS packs and USGS Ortho Packs, but I dont think they'll let me get my hands on the data (They've pretty much blocked all spidering attempts by rate limiting them down really slow).

Comment

Working...
                              X