Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modifications on VirtualEarth plugin

I'm working on a new version of the VE plugin

I corrected some bugs concerning column and row wrap-around (tiles from south pole appearing in north pole, tiles with negative row or column indexes)

I removed the need for proj 4, by encoding directly the Mercator projection and simplified some code managing the projection. It should improve slightly the performances.

I also added a transparent border/road/name layer. It looks like this on the blue marble:

If anyone would like to test it and give me some feed back, the code is here :

http://cid-8efce06782cf7eb9.skydrive...rtualEarth.zip

Wow that transparent mode is great, could you adjust the draw distance when tilted to be bigger? Ideally to the horizon, I'm not sure if that would be too much for low end systems to handle though, maybe a 'view distance' slider? While I'm at it any chance of adding a 'view location in birdseye' button, which would open a birdseye image of the current location (if available) in WW's browser?

Really great job gull.
    Bull_[UK]

Comment

It would be easy to extend the number of tiles displayed when the tilt is important (one line of code). Of course, it would have an impact on performances but this is not the main problem. It would also increase the number of tiles to be downloaded, and this plugin tends to crash when downloading to much tiles at the same time. I'll try to correct this problem first.

Comment

Maybe that explains the behaviour I saw. I zoomed into one area, and I could see the VE tiles. When i zoomed out, panned over to another area, and zoomed in, the VE Icon appeared in the lower right hand corner, but the tiles never displayed on the screen. I attributed it to Microsoft have a bad day.
        James

Comment

I fixed the bug (I forgot to dispose of some resources). It seems stable on my system now. I don't manage to crash it anymore. I updated the code referenced in my previous post.

Comment

I still updated the code. The main modifications concern the optimisation of the mesh creation algorithm. I worked in radian instead of degrees to reduce angle conversions. I also changed the way it reprojects. The overhead due to Mercator reprojection is now linear in Meshpointcount instead of quadratic previously. This could significantly improve performances when using large Meshpointcount.

I tested the new code under XP with a WIFI connection and under VISTA with a direct cable connection. It worked well in both cases.

Comment

Wow, some nice improvements you have made. I guess now I can stop bitching at people to get it updated

Earth is Square blog

PUBLIC NOTICE AS REQUIRED BY LAW: Any use of this forum post, in any manner whatsoever, will increase the amount of disorder in the universe. Although no liability is implied herein, the consumer is warned that this process will ultimately lead to the heat death of the universe.

Comment

Yes!

Absolutely awesome. After using it for a short period of time I have to say that I am pretty impressed with the updates

Comment

Very nice. I am seeing some strange bleedthrough when vertical exageration is set to 3X.

Comment

Good new version of the VE plugin

Comment

thank you for sharing, I'll try.

Comment

Are you still working on this guil?
                        Bull_[UK]

Comment

Modifications on VirtualEarth plugin

Ill give it a go thanks for the tip off.

Cant imagine automatically creating code will be much kop though

Comment

Thank u so much.
                            The same mecator projection & pyramid tile system are also used in google maps.

Comment

Working...
                            X