Fixing Virtual Earth Plugin tilted view

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing Virtual Earth Plugin tilted view

I'm trying to fix the tilted view in the WW 1.4 RC2 VE Plugin.

When using a high tilt angle, it usualy produces unaccurate clipping of the terrain geometry - because it doesnt use the ZBuffer properly - because it is a bit of a mess of a rendering 'engine'

Anyway, i managed to clean up some broken code and kinda fixed this issue, but... now it will switch from level to level with a 'clean' layer, leaving a big void while downloading the tiles. Not very nice at that point... However, once the tiles have loaded, you can finally tilt the view and have a proper depth clipping :

Lake District National Park, UK

Mt-Corno, Italy

You can download Virtual Earth Plugin 1.4 beta 1 (Zip 24k - unzip in your WW 1.4\Plugins\VirtualEarth\). This probably runs only with WW 1.4 RC2 though...

Please give me some feedback as to wether this 'fix' is acceptable or it should behave in a more user friendly manner...
    Last edited by patmurris; 12-27-2006, 01:20 PM.
    My World Wind Java Blog & WW.net Plugins page

The tiles disappearing between levels is a little annoying.

There also seems to be a longer wait than there used to be when switching levels/map types. That could just be my imagination though.
    Last edited by withak; 12-27-2006, 05:21 PM.

Comment

If you find yourself with more time, you might look at the stereo viewer plugin: http://forum.worldwindcentral.com/showthread.php?t=4129
      It's one of my favorites, but it has the same clipping problem. If not, could you leave comments as to what you fixed so I can take a hack at it?
      Note: The above statement is probably an educated guess, derived from much forum reading, IRC chatting, general curiosity, etc. Use at your own risk.
      Before asking, check the FAQ or search, and Ask a good question.

Having problems? Make sure you have Managed DirectX and .NET Framework.
      Then check the Video Card Compatibility List

Comment

Originally posted by 5of0
        If you find yourself with more time, you might look at the stereo viewer plugin: http://forum.worldwindcentral.com/showthread.php?t=4129
        It's one of my favorites, but it has the same clipping problem. If not, could you leave comments as to what you fixed so I can take a hack at it?
        ...and the anaglyph plugin, the globe icon, the sky, the sky gradient, the french geoportail (based on VE), heavenly bodies...

I think we should have a list on the wiki to track which plugins have been fixed for WW 1.4, and which need to be fixed (both for the camera jitter fix and sun shading).

Comment

The stereo viewer plugin has never worked right as far as the clipping part goes, though. I'll look at what I can fix, and create a wiki page. In fact, I'll do that now: http://www.worldwindcentral.com/wiki/1.4_Addons_List
          If you want to add stuff, just edit it and follow the format of the others:
          [http://addon.address.thing/whatever/path Addon Name] (fixername)
          Note: The above statement is probably an educated guess, derived from much forum reading, IRC chatting, general curiosity, etc. Use at your own risk.

Comment

Very good.
            We should use this list to note what has to be fixed or the symptoms to be cured (issues/bugs). Some plugins can behave in unic ways sometimes... I liked the 1.4 beta bug list with things crossed off

Comment

I like how you've subdivided it - this is quite good. I've stricken out the "done" things, in 1.4 bugs-style. Thanks for your help.

Comment

I added a list of what general issues need to be changed for 1.4.

Comment

VE plugin 1.4 beta 2

Originally posted by withak
                  The tiles disappearing between levels is a little annoying.

There also seems to be a longer wait than there used to be when switching levels/map types. That could just be my imagination though.
                  Here is Virtual Earth plugin 1.4 beta 2 (Zip 24k - unzip in Plugins\VirtualEarth\)

This version will keep rendering the previous level, until the new level has something to show. That smooth out a bit the transition.

There are still many issues, with the updating loop taking forever to complete and let other layers update, or the viewfrustrum culling - or absence of, or the excessive downloads... Well, at least it has solid mountains now
                  Last edited by patmurris; 12-29-2006, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X