Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2D version of WorldWind

I'm currently developing "flat" version of WorldWind - withoud 3D globe. It's written in Java and therefore can run on different platforms. Currently it supports WorldWind's tiled imagery, borders and placenames layers. It doesn't use DirectX/OpenGL however Java 1.5+ can internally accelerate graphics using OpenGL on supported cards/drivers.

[attachmentid=982]

I'll upload it soon (really need to add some ui controls).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Excellent, its great to see someone actually working on a port instead of just asking for one

Originally posted by bull@Jun 23 2005, 05:29 AM
    Excellent, its great to see someone actually working on a port instead of just asking for one
    Thanx I wasn't sure admins will like non-3D version of WW... (don't know why

Personally I think its a cool idea, some users have graphics cards which wont support the current 3D version, this will allow them to still use many of the useful features world wind has to offer, plus it gives users on other operating systems a chance to use it.

Eric Raboin

You can use OpenGL in Java with the JOGL bindings, provided by java.net.

It works quite well, and bindings exist for all Java supported platforms (except for perhaps you cell phone) but obviously the same OpenGL compatibility issues exist.

Originally posted by Eric Raboin@Jun 26 2005, 11:28 AM
    You can use OpenGL in Java with the JOGL bindings, provided by java.net.

It works quite well, and bindings exist for all Java supported platforms (except for perhaps you cell phone) but obviously the same OpenGL compatibility issues exist.
    No, I don't want to use OpenGL. First of all, I have no experience in 3D programming and this will be quite difficult for me. Also I want to make fast, simple and crossplatform version of WW. 3D view is useful only for "flying" across world to see mountains in 3D. In all other cases you zoom in to the place you want and you see only 2D map. So why we need 3D with all its CPU usage and hardware requirements?

In time from my last post I rewrote application to use Qt toolkit (see trolltech.com) because Java was veery slow, especially with drawing borders. But Qt.. hm.. done in some strange way, eg. drawing pixmap with resizing causes following actions drawPixmap() -> see that it should be resized -> convert pixmap to image -> create transform matrix -> tarnsform image -> convert back to pixmap -> drawPixmap() -> see that it's ok -> really draw and therefore Qt is very slow with images (but fast with drawing borders). So now I'm rewriting it again to use GTK (see gtk.org). I hope (and it looks so) that it will be much faster.

Hervé

According to the image you posted, your Java WW looked quite advanced.
    I'd like to have a look at your code (I mean the one in Java, as I am quite fluent in Java), and maybe, if I find some free time, continue your effort. This may also be the case of other developpers around.
    Could you post your code here, or is it closed source? (or you do not want to show it, or whatever)

Anyway, thank you for really coding stuff instead of just complaining

Wow !! Looks great, I'm eager to give it a try !
    Felicitations !

Hello all,

I rewritten ww2d one more time Now it uses wxWidgets toolkit, this will allow same source code to be compiled for all three platforms (Win, Linux, Mac), I think this is great. And finally binary is available! Currently only for Win, but now I'm going to go to another room to my Linux box to compile it for Linux

Download it from https://developer.berlios.de/project/showfi...p?group_id=4129 and don't forget to read README file and to report all problems here!

2Hervé: java src is also there

Originally posted by pronvit@Jul 2 2005, 02:55 PM
    Download it from https://developer.berlios.de/project/showfi...p?group_id=4129 and don't forget to read README file and to report all problems here!
    1. You must add jpeg62.dll to your zip - ww2d won't start without it.
    2. After downloading the dll ypour app. works (sometimes it crashes on startup - "memory cannot be write" error)
    3. closing the program during the download and starting it again gives this error:

jpeg library error
    corrupt jpeg data: premature end of data segment

(ww2d is trying to download many tiles at once - maybe "one after one" would be better )

4. Very nice

Thread Information