Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast

Thread: Real time GPS tracking

Originally posted by aussiemac@Aug 19 2005, 04:08 PM
    Javier,
    I haven't got a GPS,
    but I'll check the new version out now with some nmea files.
    track heading feature seems to work OK. (used NemaTalker)
    just need GPS Tracker to leave a visible track now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you very much!
    I'll try soon the latest version!

Bye!

Originally posted by javier.santoro@Aug 19 2005, 07:53 AM
    Hi,

Please goto:
    http://www.worldwindcentral.com/wiki/GPS_T...er_%28plugin%29
    to get the latest version of the GPSTracker plugin and to read the release notes.

Latest version is V01R08:

Main Features:
    1. Tracks multiple GPS devices (1 COM, multiple UDP|TCP and multiple NMEA Files).
    2. Displays Icon and information on selected GPS devices.

Additions:
    1. Clicking a GPS Icon while pressing 'Left Alt' will toggle showing the track line for that Icon on and off. Up to around 1 hour of track line will be displayed at a 1 second GPS messages rate.
    2. Show GPS UTC time in the Icon information text.

Modifications:
    1. It's now possible to select serial ports from COM1 to COM32.

V01R07:

Notes:
    1. Tested on WorldWind 1.3.2 beta 1 and 1.3.2. Does not work correctly under 1.3.2 beta 2

Additions:
    1. Added a 'Track Heading' check box. If selected the World View heading will 'follow' the heading from the gps data. "Right Control" + "Left Click" on a GPS Icon toggles this option On and Off.

V01R06:

Notes:
    1. Tested on WorldWind 1.3.2 beta 1 and 1.3.2. Does not work correctly under 1.3.2 beta 2

Fixes:
    1. GpsTracker should now work on any computer locale setting. This should fix the issue where the NMEA data was not being correctly parsed due to the computer locale setting.

V01R05:

Notes:
    2. Please update to this version as it improves the rendering of the icons a lot.

Main Features:
    1. Tracks multiple GPS devices (1 COM, multiple UDP|TCP and multiple NMEA Files).

Fixes:
    1. The rendering of the icons and information text is much faster and better than before. There should be almost no delay between getting the NMEA data and displaying the icon. The size of the icons is now constant and they are visible at any altitud. Please read the release notes for more info.
    2. The GPSTracker Layer Manager entry works as expected.
    3. It was possible to duplicate port numbers between UDP a TCP. This would cause an error.

Let me know if there's any problem.
    Thanks, Javier

Originally posted by aussiemac@Aug 19 2005, 12:35 AM
    track heading feature seems to work OK. (used NemaTalker)
    just need GPS Tracker to leave a visible track now.
    Hello,

If you are running version V01R08, just click on an Icon while pressing 'Left Alt' to toggle showing the track on and off.

Thanks, Javier

Hello,

Please goto:
    to get the latest version of the GPSTracker plugin and to read the release notes.

Latest version is V01R09:

Additions:
    1. Added Track distance to the Information text when the Icon Track line is enabled by Clicking a GPS Icon while pressing 'Left Alt'.
    2. Added an Update Tab. In this tab is possible to check for updates and download the latest version of GPSTracker. Once an update is done it is necessary to restart WorldWind.

Good Work Javier,
    I've downloaded the latest version and will try it when I create some new NMEA sentences.
    I don't have a GPS, so I need to use a simulator.
    Have you got any ideas about simulators.
    see this thread:
    http://forum.worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/index....390&#entry23390
    Thanks again.

Ryan D. Hatch

Hello, Javier.

I downloaded WorldWind 1.3.2 Full today and installed your GPSTracker Plug-In. I have a single USB Pharos GPS 360.

I must say - great job. This is truly exciting. Much better than a simple 2-D view like Microsoft Streets & Trips.

I do have a Couple Issues, however:

* GPSTracker always LOCKS my WorldWind map at my GPS position. I don't want this. I would like to see my GPS position, and still pan around the area that I'm headed. I can't do that right now. I can't check to view the town ahead of me. I would very much like to be able to turn the lock on / off very easily.

* GPSTracker slows down my viewing in WorldWind. There is lag-time whenever my GPS position is updating. The GPS is really sending over very little data. Would running the GPS listener in a seperate thread help?

* BUG - GPSTracker does not unlock my GPS position when I uncheck both GPSTracker and my GPS Receiver in Layer Manager. I should be able to unlock my view without having to 1.) UnLoad the Plug-in or 2.) Restart WorldWind.

Again, Thanks for the wonderful software. Looking forward to updates!

Ryan D. Hatch
    ryan.hatch@konect.com

Originally posted by Ryan D. Hatch@Aug 26 2005, 10:21 AM
    * GPSTracker always LOCKS my WorldWind map at my GPS position. I don't want this. I would like to see my GPS position, and still pan around the area that I'm headed. I can't do that right now. I can't check to view the town ahead of me. I would very much like to be able to turn the lock on / off very easily.

* GPSTracker slows down my viewing in WorldWind. There is lag-time whenever my GPS position is updating. The GPS is really sending over very little data. Would running the GPS listener in a seperate thread help?

* BUG - GPSTracker does not unlock my GPS position when I uncheck both GPSTracker and my GPS Receiver in Layer Manager. I should be able to unlock my view without having to 1.) UnLoad the Plug-in or 2.) Restart WorldWind.

Hello
    Thanks for the feedback.
    About your points:

1. The first device that you add to the list of devices to track will come up with the check box selected. That's the device that GPSTracker will lock on to. If you unselect the checkbox then GPStracker will not lock into that device. At any time you can lock|unlock by clicking on the device icon.

2. GPSTRacker runs on separate threads from WorldWind. Since version V01R05 there should be no delay between getting the GPS data and showing the icon. The limitation here is the way WorldWind renders the icons. I'm quite sure that there's no delay between getting the NMEA data and telling WorldWind to render the icon. But I do not have control (at least as I know so far) of when WorldWind will get around to show the icon. In all my testing so far, tracking up to 5 devices (a serial GPS device, UDP and TCP gps simulator a data from a file) at the same time I have not seen a big delay, but zooming and moving around the world view may be slower if you are tracking a few devices with a lot of NMEA messages coming in quickly. I'd like to find another more efficient way of drawing the icons and specially the track lines, but so far this is the only way I know you can do it from a plugin.

3. Yes, if you are locked to a device, unselecting GPSTracker from the Layer manager does not unlock GPSTracker from the device. This is by design, the entries under the Layer manager is just for showing|hiding the GPS icons and the Fix state text. So if you want you can keep tracking something with no graphics on top your World View. Remember you can always lock|unlock by clicking the icon. You do not need to Unload the plugin or restart World wind. Just click on the GPSTracker menu (that should show up as selected if there's a fix), that will stop GPSTracker and remove it from the Layer manager.

Please goto this place for a full description on how to use GPSTracker:

Thanks,
    Javier

Very nice work javier. I finally got to try GpsTracker with the new WW and I like it very much.

And it has all connectivity one might wish.

dz

Hi,

Please goto:
    http://www.worldwindcentral.com/wiki/Add-o...er_%28plugin%29

Note that since Version V01R09 it's possible to update GPSTracker from the Update tab in the GPSTracker Configuration window.

Latest version is V01R10:

Additions:
    1. GPSTracker shows up as an Icon in the Toolbar.
    2. Set multiple Points of Interest by holding 'Left Shift' and clicking anywhere in the world.
    3. Added an Usage Tab. Please read the information in this tab for a complete description on how to use GPSTracker.

V01R09:

Additions:
    1. Added Track distance to the Information text when the Icon Track line is enabled by Clicking a GPS Icon while pressing 'Left Alt'.
    2. Added an Update Tab. In this tab is possible to check for updates and download the latest version of GPSTracker. Once an update is done it is necessary to restart WorldWind.

V01R08:

Main Features:

Additions:
    1. Clicking a GPS Icon while pressing 'Left Alt' will toggle showing the track line for that Icon on and off. Up to around 1 hour of track line will be displayed at a 1 second GPS messages rate.
    2. Show GPS UTC time in the Icon information text.

Modifications:
    1. It's now possible to select serial ports from COM1 to COM32.

V01R07:

Notes:

Additions:
    1. Added a 'Track Heading' check box. If selected the World View heading will 'follow' the heading from the gps data. "Right Control" + "Left Click" on a GPS Icon toggles this option On and Off.

V01R06:

Notes:

Fixes:
    1. GpsTracker should now work on any computer locale setting. This should fix the issue where the NMEA data was not being correctly parsed due to the computer locale setting.

V01R05:

Notes:
    2. Please update to this version as it improves the rendering of the icons a lot.

Main Features:

Fixes:
    1. The rendering of the icons and information text is much faster and better than before. There should be almost no delay between getting the NMEA data and displaying the icon. The size of the icons is now constant and they are visible at any altitud. Please read the release notes for more info.
    2. The GPSTracker Layer Manager entry works as expected.
    3. It was possible to duplicate port numbers between UDP a TCP. This would cause an error.

Let me know if there's any problem.
    Thanks, Javier

james woolard

Javier, Excellent on the GPS tracking Plugin. We are using it for small fleet tracking of up to 8 vehicles over TCP socks. I have noticed that when tracking is
    turned off, the plugin does not send a socket disconnect to the server. We have to close World Wind to close the connections. If this is not done, an attempt to re-enable tracking results in a multiple client connection to the server and no actual data gets passed. Any ideas?

Thread Information