Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MS Virtual Earth Server Connect Refused

Default MS Virtual Earth Server Connect Refused

I've been experiencing the following issue the past few days. Can someone confirm there is a problem with MS Virtual Earth server and not and my organization's firewall?

Apr 5, 2012 8:07:20 AM gov.nasa.worldwind.util.StatusBar$2 propertyChange
    INFO: Host worldwind28.arc.nasa.gov is unavailable
    Apr 5, 2012 8:07:20 AM gov.nasa.worldwind.retrieve.BasicRetriev alService$RetrievalExecutor afterExecute
    FINE: Execution exception during retrieval of http://worldwind28.arc.nasa.gov/vewm...=10694&Y=13719
    java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect
    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.inn erGet(FutureTask.java:222)
    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.get(Futu reTask.java:83)
    at gov.nasa.worldwind.retrieve.BasicRetriev alService$RetrievalExecutor.afterExecute (Unknown Source)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$ Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:8 88)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$ Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

Is anyone else getting MS Virtual Earth tiles?

Unregistered

Default MS Virtual Earth Discontinued

We are having the same issue as well. I called Microsoft and they said that Virtual earth has been discontinued and was shut off this week. Bing Maps is the new mapping service. However, I cant find anyone online using Bing maps with World Wind. We are going to start looking into the Bing Maps SDK now but I would like to continue using WW.

Does anyone else know a way to get street view satellite images in World Wind without MS Virtual Earth?

I assume MS Virtual Earth tiles/imagery is no longer supported. Thanks.

Super Moderator

Look at the USGS NAIP layer/s

They may be more current, have greater detail and there is no copy right problems as there are with M$ VE images.

Thanks for the suggestion. I am looking at USDA NIAP imagery now, but the resolution appears to be quite limited when viewed from a altitude of 5 miles or less compared to MS VE imagery, and does not meet my current needs. Then again, MS VE does not appear to be reliable either, even for my non-commercial user requirements.

I suspect I need to obtain and maintain my own imagery.

Today, it appears USDA NAIP is down too. I'm getting the following response:

Apr 11, 2012 8:34:23 AM gov.nasa.worldwind.retrieve.BasicRetriev alService$RetrievalExecutor afterExecute
    FINE: Execution exception during retrieval of http://worldwind47.arc.nasa.gov/wms?...75.9375,39.375
    java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset

So I'm jumping hoops trying to locate some decent imagery.

I notice there is a difference in image quality between USDA NAIP and USDA NAIP USGS. I was referencing an older (pre V1.2?) worldwind.layers.xml file that did not point to:

<Layer href="config/Earth/USDANAIPWMSImageLayer.xml" actuate="onRequest"/>
    <Layer href="config/Earth/USDANAIPUSGSWMSImageLayer.xml" actuate="onRequest"/>

The USDA NAIP USGS images, although not as good as MS VE, will meet my current needs.

Super Moderator

Yes there are two NAIP layers.

In post 5 I mentioned:
    Look at the USGS NAIP layer/s

This is what I use:
    Code:
            <GetCapabilitiesURL>http://isse.cr.usgs.gov/ArcGIS/services/Combined/USGS_EDC_Ortho_NAIP/MapServer/WMSServer?</GetCapabilitiesURL>
            <GetMapURL>http://isse.cr.usgs.gov/ArcGIS/services/Combined/USGS_EDC_Ortho_NAIP/MapServer/WMSServer?CRS=CRS:84</GetMapURL>
    There was a mention a while back that this may be made the default NAIP layer.

Note that even M$ VE and GE used the USGA (USGA Digital Ortho before) images where they had not paid to get Aerial photos.
    Last edited by nlneilson; 04-17-2012 at 07:24 AM.

Is there any replacement for the hybrid version MS VE? I've tried added the USDANAIPUSGSWMSImageLayer.xml layer and it works, but the resolution is much worse at low altitude and I've lost all of my street names.

If anyone has had any luck going through the bing maps process, please post!

Thread Information