Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Integrating Vector Field Vis Code

World Wind Developer
    Department of Electrical Engineering & Computer Science; University of Kansas; Lawrence, KS

Great. Let me know if you have further problems.

Worldwind Developer

Hi Jim,

Next issue I am having is regarding data below the 0 level i.e. vectors in the ocean. They don't seem to get rendered. The basic code to open and display vectors using the File->Open method is now relatively stable so I am going to check in a sample file with subsea vectors and demonstrate the problem (mackenzie_depth.nc).

Cheers,

whatnick.
    Coding This and That in World Wind and helping new people out, as long as they don't pester too much.
    Currently blogging at: http://whatnicklife.blogspot.com
    Working at:
    Aerometrex - http://aerometrex.com.au/blog/
    Impact so far:

World Wind Developer
    Department of Electrical Engineering & Computer Science; University of Kansas; Lawrence, KS

I originally wrote all the junk below - which may be an issue - and then I just hit on an idea that may really be the problem. Even if you turn off all the textures, etc., WorldWind is still rendering the globe. Since the vectors are below sea level, the globe itself (even though it's invisible) may be hiding them. I took my original vector field application, displayed a vector field, turned off everything I could (except the vector field), rotated the globe around, and my vector field disappeared behind the invisible globe. See if this might be the problem first. If not, then look at the other stuff I wrote.

*** OTHER STUFF
    I have been back over the code and can't see anything that would discriminate against negative height values. There are some related options you may want to look at. They shouldn't affect things, but something is. For example: there is an option to ignore or use the height components of vectors in the vector field. I don't know if your below-the-ocean vectors have a non-zero height component or not. The code does assume the vectors are originally given as (deltaLat, deltaLon, deltaHeightInMeters), but of course you already know that since you have been successfully using it to this point. You might also look at the option "restrictToSubset". If that is set, but an appropriate subset is not in place, then everything could get clipped away. And I guess just make sure the (minHeight, maxHeight) is stored correctly (e.g., not (-1, -100), but rather (-100, -1)). Let me know if none of this helps, and I can look further. I'll try to make a data set whose domain is below sea level and see if I can see it.
    Last edited by jimmiller; 12-16-2011 at 04:43 AM.

World Wind Developer

Can you tell me where to find the "keep me logged in" button? Maybe I'm blind, but I couldn't spot it.

World Wind Developer

Did you figure out the problem? Was it the globe hiding the underwater vectors?

Worldwind Developer

The keep me logged in is a little check-box underneath the login dialog. I am back on board and will start working on the vectors below zero. The loader has had some fixes from UR which might make life easier.

Cheers,

whatnick.
    Coding This and That in World Wind and helping new people out, as long as they don't pester too much.
    Currently blogging at: http://whatnicklife.blogspot.com
    Working at:
    Aerometrex - http://aerometrex.com.au/blog/
    Impact so far:

Default Vector layer delegation

Jim,
    I am actually rewriting the test code with the aim to fit into the rest of the UI.
    So I am expecting better performance and more flexibility in setting up the presentation of vectors and string lines.

Thread Information