Thread: KMLPlacemark Point rendering incorrectly when located inside a KMLPlacemark Polygon

Default KMLPlacemark Point rendering incorrectly when located inside a KMLPlacemark Polygon

I have KMLPlacemark Points with Icons (aka tracks) that 'fly into' a KMLPlacemark Polygon. While inside this transparent polygon the tracks display correctly most of the time. It seems when using the mouse wheel to zoom in on the tracks that they disappear temporarily, or until the view is adjusted slightly. If I continue to zoom in to where the view is inside the polygon the tracks are displayed correctly. Im pretty sure this is undesired behavior and it seems like it should be a quick fix. I will try to look at the code for KMLPolygons in the hopes that I can find something to make a better recommendation. That said, I hope that someone more familiar can take a look. Thanks

Craig

Worldwind Developer

Do you have a sample KML to ease the reproduction of the problem. It would be a typical clipping or z-buffer issue.

Cheers,

whatnick.
    Coding This and That in World Wind and helping new people out, as long as they don't pester too much.
    Currently blogging at: http://whatnicklife.blogspot.com
    Working at:
    Aerometrex - http://aerometrex.com.au/blog/
    Impact so far:

Ok here is a sample text file (rename to kml) that will produce the problem in worldwind. I loaded it with the KMLViewer example and zoomed down towards the polygon. As you zoom down, the placemark inside the polygon should disappear and reappear depending on the angle etc...

Let me know if you need anything else.

Craig
    Attached Files Attached Files

For some reason the icons don't display for me when using a styleurl. Did you have to make any changes to the SDK code to get that to work?
    Thanks,
    James

My example does include paths to the icons we use in our system (not included with the example i posted), however the render issue still occurs with the default thumbpins. Was that just a general question?

If so, I did notice that specifying an absolute path (i.e. C:\directory\image.png) would not work. What does work is a relative path to the executing directory of the main program. So if your program runs on the C:\ drive and your images are in C:\images\ you would specify the Icons href to "images/the_icon_image.png"

It seems like the path is relative to the KML file being opened. I still can't get the icon to diplay when referencing a styleUrl. The sample you uploaded seems to have an extra <styleUrl/> tag right after the <name>201</name> tag. Anyway, I replaced that with
    Code:
         <Style>
     <LineStyle>
       <color>7f0000ff</color>
       <width>4</width>
     </LineStyle>
     <IconStyle>
       <color>ff0000ff</color><colorMode>normal</colorMode>
       <scale>0.4</scale>
       <Icon>
         <href>C:/KML/images/reinforced_message.png</href>
       </Icon>
     </IconStyle>
          </Style>
    and I got my icon to display. It has a red extrude line to ground (water), and I can verify that as I zooom around, the Icon is wiped out temporarily by the polygon being redrawn. Seems like a render priority problem to me. I have no idea where to set render priority in this SDK, but the icons and extrude lines should be way higher than transparent polygon shapes.
    James

Quote Originally Posted by what_nick View Post
    Do you have a sample KML to ease the reproduction of the problem. It would be a typical clipping or z-buffer issue.

Cheers,

whatnick.
    Just wondering if you had found anything out what_nick?

Thanks

WWJ Technical Manager

We know what the problem is and are fixing it. Might be tonight, but maybe not until Monday.

Thread Information