Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: World Heritage Sites

This is an add-on that shows the sites on UNESCO's World Heritage List as small icons. It looks like this:

And you can download version 0.1.5 here: whcwwinst.0.1.5.zip
    The readme is found here readme.whc.txt. This is an automated installer version, that will try to determine and locate your World Wind version. If you got any problems with the installer, just PM me! In case you don't trust it, you'll find a zip-only version here, but be sure to read the readme.whc.txt!

As it says in the readme, this add-on puts a lot of strain on World Wind, especially if you're hovering above central Europe.
    Please zoom in to at most 2000km above ground, before activating the addon.
    If the fonts start blurring or the planet goes white, just deactivate the add-on, wait a few seconds, zoom in, then activate the add-on again.
    If this doesn't help, close World Wind (even if it appears unresponding), start it up again, zoom in and try again.
    • Updated Feb, 25: The new version shows site names labels, when the viewing altitude goes below <s>1600km</s> 800km.
    • Updated Feb, 25: The directory structure should was made compatible with World Wind v1.3.
    • Updated Feb, 28: There's a worldwind:// clickable index available now at http://whhcww.endofinternet.org. Please see the post below.
    • Updated Mar, 2: The new version uses the changed naming scheme for addons in World Wind v1.3. It is also showing the labels at a lower altitude.
    • Updated Mar, 10: Updated to the latest UNESCO data, changed placename character set (still dont show absolutely correct), removed an unnecessary xml attribute.
    • Updated Oct, 31: Added fly-over descriptions. Added red icons for the sites on the In-Danger-List. Removed the separate In-Danger-List. Updated to the latest UNESCO data.
    The old version 0.1.4a is still available here whcwwinst.0.1.4a.zip

From the previous thread:
    Also included in this version is the script for generating this addon. It might be quite useful if you want to recreate a configuration, where only a few countries are included. But usually you don't need this. If you use it, you should understand a little how WorldWind works internally and maybe know some Python. Please read the docs, and be carefull not to start downloading everything immediately from the UNESCO site, it's about 20MB or so! There's a little frontent 'wxWhcWW.pyw' that look like this:

If there will be newer versions of the script available you can find them here.
    Please note that I can only supply this 'as is', I don't really have the time to support this
    • Updated Feb, 16: A new version 0.1.2 of the script is available. The main new feature is the ability to export to CSV, so you can use the data with your favourite program.
    • Updated Feb, 25: Version 0.1.3 script now exports placenames to World Win binary format. Other changes can be found here
    • Updated Feb, 25: Sorry, had to remove the windows-only executables because of major compatibility issues.
    • Updated, Mar. 3: The command-line version of the script can export to HTML now. You can see what it looks like over here.
    • Updated, Mar. 10: Minor bugfixes, see changelog.
    • Updated, Oct. 31: Export fly-over descriptions. Ability to export KML/KMZ from the command line.
    Last edited by Herrminator; 05-06-2006 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Attachments changed

Originally posted by TheBeansprout@Feb 25 2005, 03:54 PM
    This is fantastic work&#33;
    Thanks Bean&#33;

World Wind itself is fantastic work&#33;

Once the scripts are up&#39;n&#39;running, everything is (almost) done automatically.

Next plan is to export this to HTML with all the sites as worldwind: URLs. It would be nice though, if a doubleclick on a layer manager line would jump to that coordinates. Then it wouldn&#39;t be necessary.

Herrminator

CONGRATULATIONS..... for this Add-On
    It&#39;s 100% ok with WW 1.2e....

hermetica

First of all, thanks Bean for making some webspace available at http://www.twobeds.com/nasa/&#33; This is a lot more convenient and reliable than the previous host&#33; (No) Ad intended :P

Second, I used my scripts to generate a bookmark index to all the sites, with a short overview, an image and worldwind://goto clickable links. You can download this index on http://whcww.endofinternet.org. The index is also online for viewing there. I hope UNESCO won&#39;t get angry for publishing excerpts of their data there...

A caveat though: If you use the bookmark links with the add-on (or any other add-on), please starte World Wind before clicking on the first link. Otherwise (at least on my machines, v1.3alpha) it won&#39;t find the icons and placenames, i.e. you won&#39;t see anything.

Just made a new version available that uses the new naming scheme of World Wind 1.3. I also changed the altitude at which the labels start showing to 800km. This should ease the strain on World Wind a little.

You can find the new version here [attachmentid=276]

I would recommend everyone to upgrade to the new World Wind version anyway&#33; It&#39;s awesone&#33;

Enjoy, Herrminator
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hondo

Nice Work&#33;

I spent hours on this (specially with the index on your homepage)&#33;

One question: If you switch off the addon, worldwind seems to freeze for a very long time. Is this normal?

Originally posted by Guest@Mar 4 2005, 09:36 AM
    One question: If you switch off the addon, worldwind seems to freeze for a very long time. Is this normal?
    Probably, I should add this to the readme: Yes, it takes some time (on my machine, a 3.0GHz, 2GB RAM, roughly 3-4 secs.). The "World Heritage In Danger" doesn&#39;t take any time at all, so it probably has to do with the sheer number of icons.

Herrminator

In your places subdir, there&#39;s a lot aof small files, each for every country. Wouldn&#39;t it be more efficient to make one single place file like other addons?

Thread Information