Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: WWJ SDK Alpha 4.1 - 0.4.1 available

Saint-Paul de Vence, Alpes Maritimes, France

It works fine here - using the webstart demo 0.4.1.

In the 0.4.1 screenshot your are missing the USGS Urban Ortho layer. I dont know why, but it should be there. Maybe the network was slow and you didnt wait long enough for the tiles to come through... although if it shows in 0.3 then it is in the cache and should be there rightaway in 0.4.1.
    My World Wind Java Blog & WW.net Plugins page

WWJ Technical Manager

I just removed my cache, ran the JavaOneADemo, zoomed in on that shot of Long Beach until the Urban Ortho images came in -- about 15 seconds total. I then stopped the demo, turned off the machine's network connection, ran the demo again, zoomed in to Long Beach again, and the Urban Ortho images came up immediately. This is a long way of saying that it works for me, even under duress. Are you sure you are either connected to the public network or have the Urban Ortho images of that area in your local cache?

tag, thanks for looking into the problem. I tried it again... the Urban Ortho image came in after I run the webstart demo first for a couple areas with wwj0.4.1. Perhaps I am missing some lower res data and just have the high res data on hand. I am still having trouble with the Digital Ortho data, I will have to try that outside our firewalled area to see if I can get that back again.

Super Moderator

There may have been a change between 3.0 and 4.0, 4.1 that requires the low res data to be in the cache before the hi res tiles will be displayed.
    I downloaded the hi res with 3.0. To do that with just a dialup I changed:
    URLReadTimeout was increased
    RetrievalPoolSize was reduced
    RetrievalQueueSize was reduced

Offline with 3.0 the hi res shows fine. With 4.0 or 4.1 they do not for the airports at Long Beach, Ontario, Tucson, Denver, Ankorage, etc. For LAX and Salt Lake where the lower res were downloaded also then the hi res will show. This effects not only the Urban Ortho but even the Digital Ortho and Landsat.

You might try keeping the Urban hi res, L9, and deleting the lower res for an area, then pull the plug or disable any download connection before starting 4.0 or 4.1 and see if the hi res L9 will show without the lower res for that area.

One thing that has changed in 0.4 - and was forgotten in the readme, is the image tiles loading logic.

Before 0.4, WWJ would request and load the tiles for the level you need - nothing more. Since 0.4, tiles with lower res will be requested and loaded first until you reach the needed level. So for any location, WW will be looking for lower res tiles first before addressing the current needed resolution. That ensures the layer will stay consistent when zooming out - no tiles missing.

This change may have affected the offline behavior if you only have higher res levels without the lower res ones in your cache.

Super Moderator

Where was the code changed at (.java file or class, line)? This would save me time searching.
    I would like to display all the tiles in the cache without being restricted to having the lower res tiles.

Has the downloading of the tiles been changed so that the lower levels must be downloaded first?
    Last edited by nlneilson; 12-10-2007 at 05:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nlneilson View Post
    Has the downloading of the tiles been changed so that the lower levels must be downloaded first?
    Something like that. This is a very new addition and there may be side effects - like what you experience, although i'm not absolutely sure it is related.
    This happens in TiledImageLayer i think.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by tag View Post
    [*]Added an off-line attribute to the WorldWind class to elect not to use the network
    Will the same thing be done for the downloading and displaying of tiles so the new and improved??? method of REQUIRING the lo res tiles can be disabled??

Default Some Higher-Res Images don't load from cache

Some higher-res images aren't being displayed from the cache in the 0.4 releases.

This behavior can be demonstrated by comparing the screen shots from the BasicDemo.jar from 0.3 and 0.4.x releases.

The bounding box of the imagery that won't load/display is UpperLeft
    34.87N, -120.37W and Lower Right 33.750N -119.250W (encompassing Ventura and Santa Barbara CA).

BTW: I deleted the cache before performing these tests.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bruce, did the imagery came in if you interacted with the view? WWJ tries to download tiles a couple times then give up is you dont interact with the view.

Thread Information