Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A WW Layer Generator, using Mars (MGS) Images (BETA)

Cool A WW Layer Generator, using Mars (MGS) Images (BETA)

Here is my BETA release of a layer generator CGI using the Mars Global Surveyor image database.

I don't know if this is a WW first. I've seen layer editors. Layer generators that spin out earthquake data, but I haven't seen anything that consults an actual database... maybe I'm wrong... I don't know.

Here it is ! http://djbarney.silentflame.com/moc2ww/

Add-on page ... http://www.worldwindcentral.com/wiki...GS_Layer_Maker

Code release (GPL license) ... see post attachment.

This add on is geared towards pumping out Mars Global Surveyor MOC image markers. I'm thinking of scientists that want to produce layers of MOC image collections. Images that show water features, or were taken at a certain time, and so on. The Scientist would have to create the list of those images themselves .... the add on will then create a layer from that list with correctly placed markers with image descriptions. There should also be a link on each marker to the image source page in the PDS or Malin Space Science Systems. That part isn't functional yet.

I have tested this and I can get a full XML layer that shows correctly in WW, I'd love to know if other people can get it working.

The add on could be altered to consult any mySQL database. I'm thinking of the MRO HiRise image database, for example (hint, hint... )

Watch out for Martians.

MouseOnMars
    Attached Files Attached Files

God. Root. What is difference? TomServo's Avatar

Historical EQ plug-in queries the USGS earthquake database.

Great work though

Earth is Square blog

PUBLIC NOTICE AS REQUIRED BY LAW: Any use of this forum post, in any manner whatsoever, will increase the amount of disorder in the universe. Although no liability is implied herein, the consumer is warned that this process will ultimately lead to the heat death of the universe.

Neither of them really query a database, they just request a url and parse the results.

God. Root. What is difference? TomServo's Avatar

:P

Fine!

Earth is Square blog

PUBLIC NOTICE AS REQUIRED BY LAW: Any use of this forum post, in any manner whatsoever, will increase the amount of disorder in the universe. Although no liability is implied herein, the consumer is warned that this process will ultimately lead to the heat death of the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    Historical EQ plug-in queries the USGS earthquake database.

Great work though
    Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by withak View Post
    Neither of them really query a database, they just request a url and parse the results.
    Yes, actual SQL commands. Do I win a prize ? :P

So did you get it to work ? I'm sorta hanging out for some kind of confirmation here

MouseOnMars

Quote Originally Posted by MouseOnMars View Post
    Thanks !

Yes, actual SQL commands. Do I win a prize ? :P

So did you get it to work ? I'm sorta hanging out for some kind of confirmation here

MouseOnMars
    Mm...I think one of the FAA or RADES guys did that. I know a TIMED researcher did that for displaying S/C health and safety data in worldWind although I dunno if she ever released that plug in.

Still good job...although I'm wondering if publishing a GeoRSS feed like the USGS does might not be better?

But hey...I DO think that I have something that could actually help you. I just need to finish PointIcons and get that into the XML side for you since you use the same icon everywhere. Performance should be a LOT better with thousands of points than the current implementation.

nigel_ht...

Hello. PointIcons ? Sounds interesting.

FAA and RADES ? Aviation ? Is that something that consults a database of fights ? I'll have to look through the add ons. TIMED ? What's S/C ? I'd be interested to see some links if you have any.

So the prize has all ready been taken then. Well good

GeoRSS. I see what you mean. XML based. I might put that in as an option. Does GeoRSS load, live into WW ?

Another development issue is the links on the MGS markers. The best pages about the images are produced by Malin Space Science (with nice context images and everything). Their system of linking needs some range checking code to actually work out the links. I could swear I've seen this implemented somewhere before, so I'm holding off my brain cells for the moment (being lazy :P ).

MouseOnMars

Worldwind Developer

Finally more planetary plugins rather than just earth ones. Get it a bit more spruced up and we will add it to SVN. Or I can add it now for nht to upgrade with the new Icons.

Cheers,

what_nick.

PS: Oops is that actually a plugin.
    Coding This and That in World Wind and helping new people out, as long as they don't pester too much.
    Currently blogging at: http://whatnicklife.blogspot.com
    Working at:
    Aerometrex - http://aerometrex.com.au/blog/
    Impact so far:

It generates a marker layer XML file. Think of what obscure collection of Mars Global Surveyor images you want to display....use the PDS to tell you all the image ID's of MGS images with very acute angles for example (the panoramic ones). Now you can dump those ID's in my form and then dump the layer in WW for quick visual display of all those images ... in the right locations of course.

They don't have links on them yet. Each should have a link to the specific Malin Space Science System page for that image. Thats' the next part. HINT: I'm having problems working out how to generate those links. MSSS has a specific naming and directory structure for all their Mars Orbiter Camera images. Anyone ? BTW check the web page for the actual CGI code.

MouseOnMars

Default Blimey, maybe I can get to Mars with this thing ?

I've started adding functionality to allow a link for each marker to the MSSS image gallery.

This site, has link tables that the author says he generated using a Visual Basic algorithm. I've used them before and they seem to be accurate.

I dl'ed the entire site and have stripped out the links. It seems to be a case of adding them to another column in my SQL DB and adjusting the CGI script to do a search for the right link.

The only other thing would be to email the owner of the website.

For future, possible coolness, it might be possible to use the MSSS thumbnails to bring up a preview in the new Java comment windows (what are they called?) ... Eventually... ya know.

Mouse

Thread Information