Thread: Two Plug-ins in a hurry

Exclamation Two Plug-ins in a hurry

Hello All,

I have been trying for some time to develop a couple plug-ins as part of a government project, but due to an over-booking of my time have been thus far unable to allocate time to do so. The project has a big presentation in mid-September at which time I need to demonstrate some utility to a large user group. Because of this I am turning to you all, the expert programming WW gurus for some help. I need two plug-ins developed by no later than September 14th 2007. I realize this is a somewhat tight time constraint, but given the quality of the work that I've seen from this group I have no doubt one of you will be able to help. So, here is what I need:

Plug-in (1): Shapefile to XML

The purpose of this plug-in is to eliminate the need for an associated shapefile to be kept on the users computer while providing a robust set of selections for the user to choose from to customize the output. In essence, I would like a GUI interface that allows for the user to setup all the possible XML tags without having to actually edit the XML document. The GUI interface shoudl have these features/selectable options:

1: Select a shapefile to import (either from local or url)
    2: Select the shapefile attribute to map (in other words be able to view the shapefile attribute table and select the column which is represented.
    3: Select the color for the point or polygons (preferably a color palette option here)
    4: Set the level zero tile size for display.
    5: Set the maximum and minimum display altitude.
    6: Set the onClickurl option if the attribute table has an associated column of URLs for each point.
    7: Select an image/icon to be used in the top menu.
    8: As part of 7, create the folders needed to automatically generate an add-on with the data in WW

Plug-in (2): Data extraction Plug-in
    This plug-in is probably the harder of the two, but perhaps someone is already working on something similar. The purpose of this plug-in is to use a bounding box or polygon to select active layers from WW (be they satellite data or user input add-ons) and then export them as georeferenced images for use in another program. The format of choice would probably be GeoTiff or ESRI Grid. This plug-in will require the following features.

1: GUI interface
    2: Option to define a bounding box with Lat/Lon coordinates (Upper Left, Upper right etc....)
    3: Option to use a shapefile or other non-regular shape as a bounding box
    4: Option to use a mouse to define a non-regular polygon as a bounding box
    5: All active layers/tiles that intersect with the bounding box need to be selected.
    6: The highest resolution (lowest tile size?) of the selected layer or tile should be extracted and exported to GeoTiff, JPEG2000, GRID, IMG etc...

There are probably other features/options for both of these plug-ins I may be missing or that you may find necessary. Anyone working on this should absolutely contact me to discuss development. Now on to the important business.

Monetary Reward:
    Each successful plug-in creation receives a $100 reward. Payment will be arranged to the developers specifications. Successful completion of these plug-ins will also come with the opportunity to do future payed development for this project. Other details can be directly discussed with me.

Thank you all for your help. Please message me with questions.

Sincerely,

Dwight

Quote Originally Posted by dwilhelmCSC View Post
    Plug-in (1): Shapefile to XML

The purpose of this plug-in is to eliminate the need for an associated shapefile to be kept on the users computer
    I made something that did this a while ago, but the xml you get from a shapefile is 10x-100x or more larger than the shapefile itself. Reading in an xml that large slows down WW's startup time significantly. Even after the file was read in, performance wasn't any better than using the shapefile loader directly.

Quote Originally Posted by withak View Post
    I made something that did this a while ago, but the xml you get from a shapefile is 10x-100x or more larger than the shapefile itself. Reading in an xml that large slows down WW's startup time significantly. Even after the file was read in, performance wasn't any better than using the shapefile loader directly.
    Then keeping the original shapefile will have to do, however, I still need the plug-in to create the XML tags so that the user has more control over the aesthetics of the output.

That would be really easy then. It's what the shp loader should have been from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by withak View Post
    That would be really easy then. It's what the shp loader should have been from the start.
    So are you in then? Any thoughts about the extraction tool?

I don't have time.

Fiveofoh already made something that exports georeferenced images, I don't know if he ever released it.

Saint-Paul de Vence, Alpes Maritimes, France

Quote Originally Posted by dwilhelmCSC View Post
    Monetary Reward:
    Each successful plug-in creation receives a $100 reward.
    Considering what you are expecting, the 'reward' seems quite cheap to me...
    My World Wind Java Blog & WW.net Plugins page

The second one may be, but the first is pretty simple if you don't have to actually parse the shp. It's just a GUI form for the shp xml options.

Worldwind Developer

Or go with the OGR Vector importer withak started .. its in the SVN.
    Coding This and That in World Wind and helping new people out, as long as they don't pester too much.
    Currently blogging at: http://whatnicklife.blogspot.com
    Working at:
    Aerometrex - http://aerometrex.com.au/blog/
    Impact so far:

Alright...I understand that what I am asking is probably not worth the $ amount. As such, I am going to revise my requirements. I am on a tight schedule and really don't have the time to work this out myself. As such, I am going to offer $300 to the person who can get the Data extraction utility (#2) done in the next two weeks. I realize that the time table is short and that it's probably not a whole lot of money, but that's all I have in my burnable cash fund to get this done. Any help would be welcome.

~DW

Thread Information